Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Stock photo fail

Coming from a journalism background and seeing firsthand how much the Internet has changed reader habits, I understand how important it is to get people to not only visit a story, but stay involved with it. That said, I think WMUR went overboard with a story about the 50 top-paying jobs in N.H. for 2011. Before I even clicked on the story link I thought "Surely, they're not going to make me click through 50 slides to read this story." But that's exactly what they did.

When you have 50 holes to fill, you're bound to throw pretty much anything in there to fill the space, however tangentially related. Some of the choices were obvious: whenever a teacher job is mentioned, show a grainy shot of a bunch of students milling around at some nondescript campus; whenever anything about business comes up, get to shots of people in business attire doing mock-work for the camera.

And then, there were these two choices.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but management isn't the first thing to come to mind when I see a coed barely in her 20s throwing out her hands in exasperation while two subordinates mope with undisguised contempt.

Seriously, how young is this woman? It's quite possible that it's just her body language that makes her look so young, but all I can hear while looking at this picture is a teen-age tirade about how unfair life is that her best friend gets to go to the concert when she's the true fan, followed by a crescendo of slamming doors. Is there a way I can paid nearly $100K to "lead" like this?

The next picture is even better. All I can say is, I don't think this is the standard operating procedure when it comes to fixing an elevator. But it could make a great poster for one of those Z-grade horror movie that you sometimes find for $5 at Wal-mart.

No comments: